January 25, 2010

Cartola -" Preciso me Encontrar "

.


Poem by Candeia. Song interpreted by Cartola.

Let me go, I need to walk, I'll go anywhere to search around, and laugh not to cry... I want to see the rising sun, see the river water flows, listen to the birds sing ... I want to be born, I want to live ... If anyone comes and ask for me , just tell him I'll be back ... after I find myself.
( You tube translation from " Perromaldo" )

"...There are two Sambas. One is Cartola, and the other is the rest. This is an arrogant assertion, but I used to think that way. As I hear many Brazilian musics, I keep discovering the giants; Brazil is full of great musicians. But I still feel that Cartola is so special.

For me, Cartola represents most beautiful essence of Brazilian music. He represents the mixture of beautiful melodies, poetic lyrics and rhythm. Though his life had been mostly in poverty, his way of living was so free. He kept his style. His music was full of mellowness and bitterness. He was elegant person in the true sense of the word. (His name, Cartola, came from his nickname. It means silk hat. He was wearing silk hat when he was working as a plasterer. He didn't want his hair get dirty.)

Despite his greatness, his records are often out of print. So, I wondered if he might be forgotten in Brazil. I once asked a young Brazilian girl I happened to meet if she knew Cartola. She replied, "Do I know him? Everybody in Brazil knows him." So, the reason of relative rarity of his records is not understandable. Anyway, if you find his records, you'd better buy whatever they are. I guarantee them all. They will surely be your lifetime treasures. They are not only "must" records for Brazilian music listeners, but also for all music lovers.

I've tried to write about him almost for a month, but I couldn't write more than the sentences above. I don't know how to continue. His music is absolutely beyond words, and every word sounds stupid when written. So, I just write very short comments on his albums. They are not to be told, they should be experienced..."

( " Random Writings on Music and Other Things" )
Upload by Carlos Daniel Reichel

.