January 17, 2012

Iara Rennó | Pomba-Rola


From Elsie Houston to Carmen Miranda by Iara Rennó from MOCHILLA on Vimeo.

IN MEMORY OF ELSIE HOUSTON
By Iara Renno ( @ Hollywood Boulevard )

Ê ê ê
ê ê ah
cadê minha pomba-rola
que fugiu lá do pombal...

(eh eh eh / eh eh ah / where is my turtledove / who fled the cage...)

Turtledove, a traditional song, was recorded in the 30's by Elsie Houston. She was the daughter of a father from the U.S and a mother in Rio. She is Carmen Miranda's contemporary, a friend of Pagu and Mário de Andrade. Elsie was part of this group of artists who invented indigenous Brazilian culture. Today I find myself entranced by their memory and, like them (Carmen and Elsie), somehow I ended up here in 'Los Angeles'. My mother has the last name Miranda (no relation), and I am the turtledove, whose destiny is to sing and fly around the world.

Friendly Noises' Blog